[aprssig] APRS Field Events

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Oct 19 11:27:10 EDT 2005

>>> "Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com> 10/19/05 11:00 AM >>>
>Perhaps I'm a bit confused on this issue...
>If ... REDCROSS, and WE7U-7 [were talking]...
>then they could communicate if REDCROSS was
>directly on the internet....
>If... REDCROSS was on RF... the two could not talk.

True, but the intent of the NATIONAL GENERIC CALLS
is not to communicate traffic, but to post a solicitation
to comunicate.  It is used to announce your station's
call so that others will see your callsign and then be
able to initiate a message back to you..

THis is needed because APRS users cannot send
messages outside of the local RF lan, unless the
callsign of a distant station is known.  By posting
a message to the generic calls, then it lets you
get your own callsign out... (or at least now to
a FINDU list).

Bob