UI-View Bashing (was Re: APRS RF DX? (Was RE: [aprssig] APRSinAtlanta - flooding the network))

Richard Amirault ramirault at erols.com
Thu Oct 13 13:03:04 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron McCoy"
Subject: RE: UI-View Bashing (was Re: APRS RF DX? (Was RE: [aprssig]
APRSinAtlanta - flooding the network))
(snip)
> Why was PHG set up as a manual entry with static data? It seems like we
> have
> all the information we need for a digi to dynamically create a coverage
> object surrounding it on a map.
(snip)
Because PHG was "set up" when most folks (if not all folks) were running
APRSDos  (and some of us still do run that program)  Besides, I agree with
Bob, PHG is valuable for every fixed station, not just digis.  True, it is
not necessarily "accurate"  but it gives a ballpark idea of the local
network and can be very helpful.

Richard Amirault              N1JDU
Boston, MA, USA          Go Fly A Kite