[aprssig] APRS in Atlanta

M. Schneider msokla at brightok.net
Wed Oct 12 01:03:00 EDT 2005

 > Message: 15
> Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 17:44:36 -0500
> From: Stan Coleman [N?YXV] <n0yxv at gihams.org>
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] APRS in Atlanta
>
> /snip/
> Please don't take this the wrong way I'm merely trying to get more
> information.
> But name one connection where you NEED to use RF instead of letting the
> internet help the packet along.
>/snip/

One example, not at random:  Here in Oklahoma, both the Norman and Tulsa NWS
Forecast Offices have APRS displays, and in fact, the Tulsa office can
overlay the APRS positions on their Nexrad radar displays.  In combination
with two extensive linked repeater systems, spotters across the state can
send in eyeball reports of severe weather activity and if they are
APRS-equipped, the forecasters can see exactly where they are, and even
compare their observations with what they are seeing on the WSR-88D.  As any
NWS meteorologist will tell you, such "ground truth" reports from trained
spotters are vital.  But the catch is, many of these spotters are going to
be more than two hops from the NWS FO.

When I get the STLWTR digi reprogrammed (hopefully later this month), it
will support WIDE3-3 as well as OKx-x, so that these spotter locations stand
a better chance of making it to Tulsa and Norman.  The traffic level in
Oklahoma is sufficiently low that I believe the system will support the
additional hop from a digi that is located nearly in the middle of the
state.  At a later time, it may be necessary to lower the path.  I might add
that most of the Igates are in the Tulsa and Oklahoma City area, so getting
a position to an Igate is essentially the same as getting it to the forecast
offices via RF.

Mark Schneider - K5MAR
Control Op - STLWTR Digi  (K5SRC-1)