[aprssig] APRS in Atlanta - flooding the network

Brian Webster bwebster at wirelessmapping.com
Tue Oct 11 15:46:43 EDT 2005

The thing that bothers me about the long distance packet issue is this, I
doubt anyone has the need to go long distance in all directions at once.
They probably have a specific destination or area desired. In this case you
would simply set your path to the specific call signs of the specific digi's
along the way and not QRM the network in all other directions. This is a
real simple answer to this whole problem with the few folks who seem to need
this feature. It's just like the old days of packet where we had to know
which digi call signs to put in our path to get where we wanted. Beyond that
two hops should be plenty, I can see almost all of NY and Southern New
England with the current WideN paradigm and I can certainly see many more
mobiles over a much larger area than ever before. This tells me that before
this, the ping ponging packets between digi's was killing all the lower
power mobile packets. As far as not being able to hit an I-gate to route
packets long haul, within two hops I would venture a guess that there will
almost always be an I-gate to pick a packet up. I would like to see some
people test this to make sure and it would have to be over a good period of
time to make sure there weren't specific packets colliding and getting
missed. While an I-gate is not pure radio, we never had pure packet radio on
one specific frequency when networks were really booming. Why should we
expect that with APRS? It's just not possible with a carrier sense system.
That was why we had to create backbones without the hidden transmitter
syndrome, and that was connected packets and error checking, not unconnected
ui-packets.

Thank You,
Brian N2KGC