[aprssig] APRS in Atlanta - flooding the network

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at jnos.org
Tue Oct 11 20:31:22 EDT 2005

> Bill,
> You still don't get it, do you?

LOL.

 > APRS is not for long distance
> communications.  It is for local tactical communications.

Read what I said below.  That's the normal use.  "Playing" to learn the
system and understand the fringe capabilities of the network is a good
thing.   Normally it's not needed.  Some day it may be.  Regardless it's
fun, and certainly not any way harmful, to push the boundaries from time
to time.

 > Internet gateways
> were designed to link the local networks together and provide that long haul
> capability.   If you want extended ranges try HF.

It's also fun to see just how far a packet can be bounced on HF....
:-)   Though right now I'm more interested in seeing what we can do with
NVIS for more medium range usage.

> Eric KF4OTN

Bill