[aprssig] APRS in Atlanta - flooding the network

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Oct 11 13:22:44 EDT 2005

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Christensen, Eric H wrote:

> Bill,
> You still don't get it, do you?  APRS is not for long distance
> communications.  It is for local tactical communications.  Internet gateways
> were designed to link the local networks together and provide that long haul
> capability.   If you want extended ranges try HF.

Bill is one of the last that I would ever say that first sentence to!

FWIW I agree with both of you.  Maybe that doesn't make sense to
you, I don't know.  You're spouting the party line, which is great.
It's a good general way to think about APRS.  No problem there.

As far as long-distance packet, if I were involved in an event that
was wide-ranging, such as a volcano or earthquake (we have both
around here), I'll use whatever means at my disposal to go whatever
distance makes sense for the traffic I need to pass.  If it's APRS,
so be it.  We have the hooks in our digi settings here to make that
possible.  In any large enough scenario internet links could be
down.  RF rules in that case.  It's up to the people on scene to
determine what modes to use and how to use them to get the job done.