[aprssig] APRS in Atlanta - flooding the network

Christensen, Eric H CHRISTENSENE at MAIL.ECU.EDU
Tue Oct 11 13:12:48 EDT 2005

Bill,
You still don't get it, do you?  APRS is not for long distance
communications.  It is for local tactical communications.  Internet gateways
were designed to link the local networks together and provide that long haul
capability.   If you want extended ranges try HF.

Eric KF4OTN

-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org [mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org]
On Behalf Of Bill Vodall
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 11:42 AM
To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
Subject: Re: [aprssig] APRS in Atlanta - flooding the network

For normal day to day use, yes - using a two hop path and letting the IGates
do their magic for our APRS communication is a good thing.

But this is about radio and the special things we can do with it.  If
needed, we can reach out and communicate over extended ranges.  The new
paradigm has the backdoor paths that make this possible.  As such, it's a
good thing to test and exercise it so we the operators have an idea of
what's possible and how to do it.

73
Bill - WA7NWP