[aprssig] Was Linux PC Kit....Verizon/RF APRS Mobile

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 13:35:18 EDT 2005

On 10/4/05, Rich Garcia <k4gps at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I have never tried to use my air card with the PC tucked away but I am sure
> hams could figure out a way to mount an external 1900 antenna so the PC can
> be underneath the seat. So many possibilities for hams on the move and
> even search and rescue! Your own moving web server....

All-in-one boxes which include cell network "air cards" combined with
a router and WiFi access point will be hitting the market soon.  I've
seen a couple of prototypes over the past few weeks.  These boxes
allow you to setup a WiFi hotspot anywhere by getting the Internet
connection through the aircard and cellular network.  Pretty cool
stuff, but something Part 15'ers and some Hams have been homebrewing
for a while now.

Now we are starting to stray a little to far away from APRS so I'll
stop here.  ;-)

--
A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com