[aprssig] Igateing a Non Amateur

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Oct 2 11:41:56 EDT 2005

On Oct 2, 2005, at 11:04 AM, Andy Gonzales wrote:

> What are their calls ?

Many of the employees of these companies are hams. Many companies you
would recognize, like MFJ and PacComm were started by and are owned
by hams, who have made plenty of money off of amateur radio. (Many
have lost a lot of money, but that's another story!)

> I meant of course the operating community.  If I come up with a 4
> band radio
> product for sale and advertise it over the local repeater and make
> a profit,
> that's not amateur radio.  If I set up a server or write some
> software or
> produce some sort of kit, and I get money enough to defray some or
> all of my
> expenses then that seems to be correct

Don't feel bad that you are mistaken on this count, many people have
an incorrect impression about the meaning of amateur. Back when the
term was coined, its meaning was an enthusiast, rather than the
present connotation of non-professional. The prohibition in the FCC
rules is against using the airwaves to make money. Your first example
is against the rules, you could not advertise on your 2 meter
repeater. You could go to the local ham club and sell all you want
though, and make as much or as little profit as your choose. Note
that the rules are not about whether you make a PROFIT, so even if
you are selling it for half your cost, you still cannot advertise on
the air if it is an ongoing enterprise. The rules allow for the
exception of selling amateur radio gear if the selling is not done on
a regular basis... e.g. I can sell an old rig on the air, but if I
run a home business in old gear, I can't use ham radio to promote it.

You are trying to put limitations on me, and every other producer of
intellectual property. You are not alone, Richard Stallman feels the
same way you do, and is quite eloquent in his promotion of the
concept. He believes any information that is useful belongs to
civilization as a matter of morality. He thinks it is OK to write a
novel and sell it, but if I write a how-to book, it belongs to
everyone and it is immoral to make money (even expenses). I call that
information communism, and I reject it just as I reject material
communism. I have rights to the output of my brain just as I have
rights to the output of my hands.

Steve K4HG