[aprssig] Igateing a Non Amateur

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Oct 1 17:05:54 EDT 2005

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005, Mark White wrote:

> As far as open source, why is it that when a ham, or whoever, designs a
> circuit and shares that design with the world, yet he/she designs
> software and keeps it secret?  It just doesn't makes since to me.  Ham
> radio is all about sharing ideas.  Apparently that doesn't apply to the
> software world.

Huh?  www.xastir.org

APRS application.  Open-Source.  Runs on darned-near anything.
GPL'ed.  Free for the download.  I'm a regular contributor to that
project (that's probably kind of an understatement).  There, that's
the APRS continued tie-in for this thread.

Now to get side-tracked a bit from APRS:  I write other things that
I don't release or release under different licenses.  Depends on the
circumstances.  I have no problem with people trying to make money
off their work.  Of course I'm often able to find free alternatives
in order to make sure more of my money stays in my pocket, or else
write my own software that does the same or nearly the same thing.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer