[aprssig] Igateing a Non Amateur

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sat Oct 1 17:06:44 EDT 2005

On Oct 1, 2005, at 4:54 PM, Mark White wrote:

> As far as open source, why is it that when a ham, or whoever,
> designs a
> circuit and shares that design with the world, yet he/she designs
> software and keeps it secret?  It just doesn't makes since to me.  Ham
> radio is all about sharing ideas.  Apparently that doesn't apply to
> the
> software world.

Ham radio is not just about sharing ideas. It is also about providing
service and making money, among hundreds of other things. People have
rights to their intellectual property just as they have rights to
their physical property, and that includes the right to do with that
property what they choose. Some people choose to share it, some
choose to make money with it, some choose to provide a free service
with it. Each of these is a valid choice of the owner which must be
respected.

Steve K4HG