[aprssig] Igateing a Non Amateur

Mark White jmarkw at ec.rr.com
Sat Oct 1 16:54:54 EDT 2005

Steve

I'm not going to quote any of your reply since I agree with everything
you said.  I've been a "Software Engineer" for almost 20 years now and
I've heard all the arguments.  My apologies if this has been "bandied
about every year or so" but I'm relatively new to APRS when compared to
you.  My whole take on this is either sh*t or get off the pot.  If you
want 100% validation then it'll have to be redesigned...hands down.
APRS-IS is what it is.  Personally I think the system works just fine
save for a few stragglers, like the one that started this thread.

As far as open source, why is it that when a ham, or whoever, designs a
circuit and shares that design with the world, yet he/she designs
software and keeps it secret?  It just doesn't makes since to me.  Ham
radio is all about sharing ideas.  Apparently that doesn't apply to the
software world.

Just my US$0.02 worth.

73 de KE4QKT
Mark