[aprssig] Igateing a Non Amateur

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sat Oct 1 14:14:48 EDT 2005

On Oct 1, 2005, at 1:06 PM, Mark White wrote:

> Opening the source
> should have no consequence on said system.

What you are missing is that it is not the security system, but the
hub code where open source is a problem. As long as there is a hub
program that anyone can modify and then join the network, the
"security" system is irrelevant, it can simply be removed from the code.

Let me see if I can clarify. Say the APRS IS were, with the wave of a
magic wand, upgraded so that SSH is used for validation. Say that a
person or group personally verifies the license status of every user
along with two picture IDs, and every person perfectly guards their
SSH key verifying their identity.  In this case, a hub program would
be able to verify that each connection really came from the person
that claims to have sent it and that a particular piece of data
originates with a ham. One of the programs that can connect in this
environment is an upgraded version of aprsd. It is absolutely true
that this open source program could be just as secure as an upgraded
version of javAPRSrvr. However, because the source code is available,
it is trivial to remove the code that checks for validation, and give
every connection validated status. Now the whole network is
compromised, no data can be trusted. While a hub program could verify
the identity of every connection, it could not verify the identity of
the users connected to another hub. The only security possible is by
limiting hub operations to trusted individuals.

To state it another way, while the code certainly can be open source,
any machine that runs the code as part of the APRS IS must be know to
be running a version of the code with full security. This cannot be
done in software, it must be done in the human realm. Either someone
or some group manages the APRS IS, and restricts hubs to a small
group of trusted administrators, or does an ongoing, comprehensive
evaluation of the security of each and every hub in the system.

At this point the discussion of SSH proponents usually turns to
encrypting the data. In the magic wand scenario earlier, rather than
validating the connection, each and every packet could be encrypted
by the sending station using their private key, so anyone connected
to the system can use a public key to decrypt the packet and at the
same time verify the originator of the packet. This would in fact
work, and is the simplest system I can think of for providing true
protection from FCC violations under the message forwarding rule
while still having an open network any ham can join. So all it takes is:

1. A person or group that will verify in person the identity of every
person wishing to use the APRS Internet System. This person or
persons are completely trustworthy, and the users all take
responsibility for protecting their key.

2. A public key infrastructure to support the validation process.

3. Probably hardware upgrades for the hubs and at least some of the
clients, this is a lot of data to decrypt because each packet must be
individually decoded.

5. Re-write of each and every application using the APRS Internet
System.

6. Abandonment of UI-View, since it cannot be upgraded.

Piece of cake...

This basically is the summary of the argument that gets bandied about
every year or so. Yes, it can be done, and if we were protecting our
life savings, we would. We are protecting APRS data though, so it
won't be done because the work involved is not worth the return.
IGate operators need to be aware of the reality of the situation and
make their own decisions.

Steve K4HG