[aprssig] Xastir install issues

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Wed Nov 30 02:46:50 EST 2005

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Scott Miller wrote:

> Never tried to do a Xastir install under Windows myself.  What's the policy on
> redistributing the Cygwin dll?  Does it need more of a runtime environment
> than just the library?

Yea  Needs X-Windows as well, and if you want to have a usable Unix
environment you'll need more than just the DLL.

> What's to stop you from packaging up the whole think,
> Cygwin and all, with InstallShield or something, and making a single-file
> Windows installer?  That would go a loooong way toward increasing Xastir's
> popularity.

See the Binary Downloads section off the www.xastir.org home page,
the Windows section.  The Lintronics install is a very easy install.

Who needs more popularity BTW?  We're having fun as-is.  If people
don't want to come play in our camp, they're perfectly welcome to
stay in theirs.  Takes all kinds.

One could certainly come up with a set of sources that would not
require Cygwin, but it would take a lot of development effort to do
so.  I've thought about tackling this before, but the benefits would
not be worth the amount of work involved.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer