[aprssig] Xastir install issues

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Tue Nov 29 10:16:27 EST 2005

Cygwin isn't an emulator.  It's a common
development ground for Linux source code use and
development on Windows.  It could also be
considered a runtime if installed solely to allow
other programming to operate.  I have seen
programs install parts of Cygwin as dependents,
though which programs escape me at the
moment.  Visual Basic isn't an emulator either,
even though it has common required runtimes as well.

If it were an emulator, you'd not have to build
things specifically for Cygwin, you could use
binary kits from various Unix variants or Linux.

 From the Cygwin website:
 >Cygwin is not a way to run native linux apps on
Windows. You have to rebuild your application
from source if you want to get it running on Windows.
 >Cygwin is not a way to magically make native
Windows apps aware of UNIX ® functionality, like
signals, ptys, etc. Again, you need to build your
 >apps from source if you want to take advantage of Cygwin functionality.

--Droo, K1XVM