[aprssig] Xastir install issues

Rich Garcia k4gps at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 29 16:03:59 EST 2005

After reading some of the recent posts and having been away from Xastir for
several years (also not having a Linux box other than my server and slug) I
gave it a shot. I had heard it was a real PIA to do Cygwin and Xastir on a
Windoze box so I had never bothered, had some free time last night and
followed the win32 readme and I would say after 40 minutes Xastir was up and
running, most of that time was spent in the initial Cygwin install and the
Xastir make progress.

Yes I had installed Xastir before under Linux so I was somewhat familiar
with the process but I am IN NO WAY a LINUX aficionado. FIFO is my problem
and I have a lot on my mind so even basic Linux commands took some thought,
they were in the brain but stored far far away.

I guess all cases are different but if it's not a hardware issue it can be
done. I am no Linux genius, I just read the readme in one window while doing
the process in another so if I can do it I would say most anyone else that
can read can do it also. The only hang up I had was during the initial
Cygwin download, the download failed at 80%. I gave it another try and it
worked without a hitch, it could have been a timeout issue or such.

Rich