[aprssig] Xastir install issues

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Tue Nov 29 10:16:15 EST 2005

I guess your definition of running on windows and my definition of running on
windows are not the same. I have other "windows" applications that will not
run without the .NET Framework installed; are these not "windows"
applications? I have a laptop with Windows XP and I currently have Xastir
running on it. To me, this is Xastir running on Windows.

I will agree that installing Xastir is not as simple as double-clicking an
install file. But I have managed to get it up an running on a few windows
machines with very little difficulty. It can be done.

I find Xastir to be a wonderful tool for APRS operations. The fact that the
source code is available is very nice (I have made a few modifications for my
personal use that I could not do with other APRS applications). It's also nice
that development is very active on Xastir and it improves almost daily.

If you want the features that Xastir offers, then you have to take the time to
learn it and get it to run on your box.

The fact that you were unable to get it working does not mean that it does not
work.

As for the question about why Cygwin exists, Cygwin is a Linux-like
environment for Windows. It consists of two parts:
 - A DLL (cygwin1.dll) which acts as a Linux API emulation layer providing
substantial Linux API functionality.
 - A collection of tools, which provide Linux look and feel.

Having been a Unix System Administrator in a past life, the ability to open a
Bash shell and run unix like tools is very handy even on a Windows platform.

BTW, you can get around your unstable Win2k platform by switching to Linux :->
I have made the switch everywhere but on my laptop.