[aprssig] A funny packet story/joke (The KISS guys will get it)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Nov 9 11:03:07 EST 2005

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Gregg Wonderly wrote:

> Yes, KISS is simple.  Anything that you read about bit stuffing, or CRCs is done
> by the TNC, for you.  All you need to do is construct the bytes that make up the
> header and payload and send them to the TNC.  For received data, you just need
> to do the opposite to unpack the header data.

Well, not quite that simple, but it _is_ simple.  There are also
some characters that you need to hide in your payload (there's a
simple method to do this) and a byte you need to add to the
beginning of the frame.  There are also several variants of KISS
that mostly do different things with the control byte at the
beginning of the frame and/or add CRC bytes.  Standard KISS protocol
has no CRC or checksum.

> Anyone needing code to do KISS can send me an email and I'll point them to some
> example.

Same here, C-code examples under BSD or GPL open-source licensing
that people are welcome to look at.