[aprssig] A funny packet story/joke (The KISS guys will get it)

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Wed Nov 9 10:45:14 EST 2005

Jason Winningham wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2005, at 6:12 PM, Jason Rausch wrote:
>
>> You know, even though I know that much about KISS, the
>> most frustrating thing is, no matter what spec sheets
>> I read, I still cannot figure out how KISS works.  As
>> far as the algorithm for converting to and from it.
>> Such as the fact that nothing seems to be in order.
>
> KISS is just a raw AX.25 packet, sans sentinel, CRC, and bit stuffing.
>
> If you're talking about the screwball way that the bits of the SSID  get
> divided up and distributed among the bits of the callsign  characters
> and other oddities, the confusion comes from AX.25 and not  KISS.

Yes, KISS is simple.  Anything that you read about bit stuffing, or CRCs is done
by the TNC, for you.  All you need to do is construct the bytes that make up the
header and payload and send them to the TNC.  For received data, you just need
to do the opposite to unpack the header data.

Anyone needing code to do KISS can send me an email and I'll point them to some
example.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW