[aprssig] Earthmate USB and APRS

Keith Kotch kkotch at earthlink.net
Wed May 25 21:57:59 EDT 2005

Had the chance this evening to try out the Serial Emulator program from
Delorme on a trip back from St. Petersburg to Orlando.

This is a serial emulator for their USB Earthmate gps.  It allows 3 virtual
serial ports to be getting gps data and in use by 3 different programs at
the same time.

Here's the setup:

Dell Inspiron 600m laptop - has a normal 9 pin serial port and 2 USB

KPC 3 v.8.2

Kenwood TR-2500 HT and matching Kenwood 2m brick amp

Delorme USB GPS

WinAPRS

Delorme Street Atlas USA 2005

I downloaded the Serial Emulator program and let it default to set up Coms
2, 3 and 4.  The Earthmate USB is plugged in to my USB port and the computer
is chained to the TNC via the regular serial port (Com 1)

I started Street Atlas and told it to look for generic NMEA data on Com 3
and then started WinAPRS and set it up to look for gps data on Com 2.  Both
programs ran and each took the gps feed.  I did show up on findu at least
once on the trip home.

It's been a couple of years since being on APRS so not sure if all settings
were correct but at least this did work and offers an owner of an Earthmate
USB the chance to play.  Monday night, after installing the emulator, I did
open it up in the hotel room in Euless, Texas with both WinAPRS and UIView
and my gps position did show up in both programs at the same time.

I don't know if this emulator will work with other USB gps but I don't see
why not.  I'll play with it a little more tomorrow and Friday on an
overnight to West Palm Beach and start noting any little quirks that pop up.
Unsure as to how stable everything is when this is running.

73,

Keith, KF4BXT