[aprssig] Earthmate USB and APRS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed May 25 22:23:30 EDT 2005

kkotch at earthlink.net wrote:

> I don't know if this emulator will work with other USB gps but I don't
> see why not.
>

> 73,
>
> Keith, KF4BXT

Actually, all GPS devices produce traditional serial output.  In the
USB-interfaced versions of these devices, the serial output is
converted, inside the GPS, to USB by the same kind of
application-specific IC (ASIC) used in stand-alone serial-to-USB
converter cable "dongles".  [ The net effect is exactly the same as if
you had used a serial GPS with an EXTERNAL serial-to-USB converter
cable, but with the added convenience of powering the GPS from the USB
port.  And of course, a thinner, lighter cable with no mated male/female
DB9s in the middle.]

There are several different serial-to-USB chipsets, from different
vendors, in use.  The drivers for these chips are very device specific,
and are NOT interchangable.   Unless another USB GPS just happens to use
exactly the same USB chipset as the Delorme,  the Delorme driver will
not work with it.

Stephen H. Smith             wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                   http://wa8lmf.com

New APRS Symbol Chart
  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/miscinfo/APRS_Symbol_Chart.pdf

New/Updated "Rev G" APRS     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs