[aprssig] findU and RSS

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Tue May 24 17:03:50 EDT 2005

On May 23, 2005, at 4:23 PM, Henk de Groot wrote:

> FireFox seems to know about RSS feeds, but even better for this is
> Mozilla Thunderbird. The only gotcha is that the "feed:" protocol
> is not recognized.

 From now on, I'll be providing the findU RSS feeds as http:// to cut
down on the confusion. Safari recognizes an incoming RSS feed and
changes the URL, so http should work in any system. I may
occasionally forget to change, as I test URLs in the browser and cut
and paste, and as I say these are converted to feed:// by the browser.

I'm now working on the weather RSS feed now. I only have the
temperature check working so far (each variable will require a
separate index in the database):

http://rss.findu.com/wx.cgi?temp=gt100

will feed those stations with temps greater than 100 degrees. You can
replace gt with lt for less than. I realize the syntax is a bit
opaque, but I can't think of a better one which will pass through a
browser and cgi parser. This may not be hugely useful, as the
outliers are often bad hardware, but we'll see.

You can also get a feed on a specific callsign, where there is one
item for each report that meets the criteria, so

http://rss.findu.com/wx.cgi?call=k4hg&temp=lt70

will feed those reports when the temp at my house falls below 70
degrees (it'll be November before anything appears here!). I need to
parse out more of the weather info into each item, and I'll be doing
parameters for the common weather values, I'll announce them when
they are available.

Steve K4HG