[aprssig] Dayton meltdown.

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon May 23 13:30:29 EDT 2005

I don't disagree with using an alternate input frequency, but it seems that
an IGate (no digipeater enabled) would be a handy thing to have at an event
like Dayton. Everyone right at the event would presumably hear most other
signals that were local whether they made it to a digipeater or not - as
long as they weren't clobbered. The IGate would gate everything that it
hears. It wouldn't add any extra traffic  to RF unless someone sent a
message via TCPIP to a local station. This of  course doesn't help those
inside get signals from the GPS satellites, but  would get their beacons to
the APRS-IS for those that couldn't attend.

I did happen to take a look at Dayton a few times over the weekend.
Regardless of whether any local digis have changed over to the new settings,
most (but not all) of the ones that I looked at still had RELAY or WIDE or
RELAY,WIDE etc. in their paths. I seem to recall seeing a few that were
using WIDE2-2 and obviously were gated because I saw them about 3290 km
away.

PS - too bad the winds didn't cooperate to have the KC8UCH-11 balloon fly
directly over Dayton, but it looks like it had a good trip. Hope the
foxhunters managed to pick up a signal from it!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH