[aprssig] Dayton meltdown.

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon May 23 12:33:38 EDT 2005

re the suggestion of a passive GPS repeater...

> Wow.  I learned something new today.  Never heard of this before.
> Interesting.

I have never tried it, but there could be other applications for "passive
repeaters" where there are (e.g.) a couple of Yagis on a mountain-top that
are tied together with coax and nothing else in between... one pointed down
each side of the mountain.

I've always assumed that for best results, the transmitters down in the
valley should use a directional antenna pointed at the passive repeater, but
has anyone on the list actually tried a passive repeater? The re-radiated
signals must be pretty low level, but I wonder if there are any locations
where a couple of Yagis tied together on a hilltop would help out  APRS on
144.390 MHz anywhere.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH