[aprssig] Dayton meltdown.

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Mon May 23 12:10:09 EDT 2005

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Wes Johnston wrote:

> I ran my tiny trak with a 2m 340mW radio and never ever got in with a
> path of W2-2.  I even increased teh power to 5w and still didn't get
> in.  Next day I changed the path to RELAY,W2-1, and got in, presumably
> because there was a kenwood mobile on site in the parking lot that was
> RELAY.  I am really surprized that no one in Dayton supported W1-1.
  /snip/
> I think my aloha circle was something like 350 feet.

That explains it right there.  With that level of congestion, you have no
business putting ANY digi path in there.  It just adds to the congestion.

The appropriate response would be to take advantage of the several wifi
hotspots (ARRL, TAPR, and a flea-market booth all offered open access),
and set up an igate, configured for rf->inet only.  Allow the family back
home to watch our travels, but not add to the already crowded RF
environment on that site.

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin