[aprssig] findU and RSS

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun May 22 19:28:52 EDT 2005

On May 22, 2005, at 6:52 PM, Brad McConahay wrote:

> saving state with
> findu feed won't be very important because each time a findu feed is
> updated, it's meant to be a new and unique list of stuff

No, what is cool about it is that the reader keeps track of what is
new. The first time you run the near, msg, or warn feeds, every item
is new, but from then on, you only get notification of new warnings,
messages, and stations which have appeared. For example, my near feed
is set to 50 miles with this URL

feed://rss.findu.com/near.cgi?call=k4hg&distance=50

Every 30 minutes Safari checks this feed, and if, and only if, a new
station enters that 50 mile radius, does Safari notify me (with a
notation in the bookmarks bar) that there is a new item on this feed.
I get the same sort of notification with a new weather warning and a
new message. I click on the bookmark bar, and get the feed displayed,
where the new items are at the top of the page, easily seen. That is
the whole thing that got me excited about RSS...no longer do I have
to call up the near page and scan the whole list of stations for
unfamiliar callsigns to see who is visiting the Keys, Safari does it
for me! Safari is of course always open on my computer, I can see
that if I have to run a different program, or check a web site, this
would be much more awkward.

Again, I do not know how other browsers do it in Windows (Safari is
the first for the Mac to include RSS, if you click on an RSS feed in
FireFox it launches Safari!), but it is certainly done right in
Safari, it is easy to keep track of the state of the items. As to
multiple machines, I do not worry much about this as I use my laptop
for everything, but state info is automatically synced through iSync
via .Mac, just like bookmarks, email, etc. if you have that service.

Anyway, from what Brad says it seems there is not much you can do now
if you are a Windows user to get this sort of functionality, at some
point I'll take a look at the web based service he mentions to be
sure findU's RSS supports it, or if someone else has used it with
findU I'd appreciate your comments. Since windows users do not have
integration of RSS, this new feature may not be the most popular one
I've implemented. I don't care though, because this is just so cool
on a Mac...and what, you guys only have to wait about 18 more months
for Longhorn, right? findU will be ready when you are! ;-)

Steve K4HG