[aprssig] findU and RSS

Brad McConahay brad at n8qq.com
Sun May 22 18:52:06 EDT 2005

I've become a big fan of bloglines.com, a web based RSS aggregator.  Over
the past year or so I've really come to rely on RSS as a central way to keep
track of so many things in one spot.  Even besides typical news feeds, you
can subscribe to phpBB channels, usenet groups via groups.google.com, your
own bookmarks via http://del.icio.us, weather alerts via noaa.gov, traffic
reports via Yahoo, podcasts, ... and now findu scripts.

After trying many standalone readers, including more recent browser-based
readers, I found they present the same problem as email, calendars, etc...
getting to your feeds in a central place, and in a way that it always knows
what you've read and what you haven't (state).  If you use multiple
computers and have lots of feeds, a standalone reader becomes awkward.
Using a web-based reader makes any browser on any computer become a
centralized reader.  You can optionally share your feeds with others.  (mine
are at http://www.bloglines.com/public/bam)  There's also a Windows taskbar
notifier that you can use to stay aware of new content.

If you don't track many feeds or you don't use more than one computer
regularly, then none of this probably matters much.  And saving state with
findu feed won't be very important because each time a findu feed is
updated, it's meant to be a new and unique list of stuff.  But in general, I
really like the web-based approach for RSS.

Brad N8QQ