[aprssig] Digis in Central Ohio?

Rochte, Robert rrochte at gpacademy.org
Sun May 22 12:11:22 EDT 2005

Are there no digis in central Ohio?  As I look at the packets from my
balloon last night (from the time that it is hovering over central Ohio and
packets are only received every few hours), I see only digis that are
hundreds of miles away in PA and NY.

Looking at the packets, I still don't believe that it was a cold-soak
problem - I think that there was no one around to hear the little
Pockettracker and only the occasional lucky packet made it in...  Now
perhaps there was cold-soak after sundown - the resumed transmissions at 10k
ft support that theory - but I don't think it happened during the float.

Is there a giant APRS hole in Ohio or is there some other explanation for
only PA and NY digis in the packets?