[aprssig] Digis in Central Ohio?

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Sun May 22 13:21:16 EDT 2005

At 10:11 AM 5/22/2005, Rochte, Robert wrote:

>Are there no digis in central Ohio?  As I look at the packets from my
>balloon last night (from the time that it is hovering over central Ohio and
>packets are only received every few hours), I see only digis that are
>hundreds of miles away in PA and NY.
>
>Looking at the packets, I still don't believe that it was a cold-soak
>problem - I think that there was no one around to hear the little
>Pockettracker and only the occasional lucky packet made it in...  Now
>perhaps there was cold-soak after sundown - the resumed transmissions at 10k
>ft support that theory - but I don't think it happened during the float.
>
>Is there a giant APRS hole in Ohio or is there some other explanation for
>only PA and NY digis in the packets?

         I've already deleted the original message, and I don't remember
what the callsign was for the balloon.  What I was going to do was look and
see what path you were using, then I was going to try and figure out if
there ARE digis in that area, and if they support the path you were
using.  With the new paradigm going in, I suspect there are areas that
don't do one or the other and you can get lost going between those areas.

         You might connect to the internet feed with a filter setting of
r/40/-82/800 and take an overall look at Ohio and surrounding areas to see
what digis are making it to the TCP/IP stream.

         7 3
         Earl

Earl Needham, KD5XB, Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk
http://kd5xb-2.no-ip.info

For you dog lovers: Proheart 6 is DANGEROUS and your dog may not survive!

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/2004/ANS01312.html
http://www.spoiled-paws.com/ph6.htm
http://bewareofproheart6.freecyberzone.com/

All (and more) found via