[aprssig] Re: WIDEn-N and the New Paradigm for UIDIGI

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun May 15 21:34:43 EDT 2005

Henk,
thanks.
For now, I lean towards WIDE2*... and allowing
following hop if needed.

Mainly, so that one can use WIDE2-2,DIGIX to
cover a given local WIDE2-2 area but at the same
time hit a single small area 3 hops away at DIGIX
but not have to use WIDE3-3... which would be
abusive...

Bob
>>> henk.de.groot at hetnet.nl 05/15/05 3:21 PM >>>
Hello Bob,

Robert Bruninga schreef:
> Now you can make an exception for 1-1 if you want.
> and always mark it as * when it gets to 1-0.  THis
> will solve your problme yet also let you truncate
> abusive Wn-n,Wn-n,Wn-n paths...

I thought of that, and this is exactly how it works for WIDE1-1. It
doesn't even leave a WIDE1* behind (or do you think it should?). Let me
show you how the rules I published do it by means of a 3 hop example:

On entry:

USER>APRS,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2

After first hop:

USER>APRS,DIGI1*,WIDE2-2

(So WIDE1-1 is replaced by the call, and there is no WIDE1* left either)

After second hop:

USER>APRS,DIGI1*,DIGI2*,WIDE2-1

After third hop:

USER>APRS,DIGI1*,DIGI2*,DIGI3*,WIDE2

Now this is not exactly the truth, DIGI_NED will skip over the WIDE1-1
on
the first hop, WIDE1-1 is for the RELAYs and should not result in an
extra
hop if the packet happens to hit the WIDE DIGI directly.

So this works ok. My question was only about the best way to terminate a

WIDE2.

Kind regards,

Henk.