[aprssig] Re: WIDEn-N and the New Paradigm for UIDIGI

Henk de Groot henk.de.groot at hetnet.nl
Mon May 16 08:42:40 EDT 2005

Hello Bob,

Robert Bruninga schreef:
> Actually THe extra 2 does not waste anything because
> in the AX.25 protocol those fields are 7 bytes no matter
> what the callsign.  And My bet is it will take YEARS for
> all digis to switch over to the New-N paradigm.  Bob

Bill drops the complete trailing WIDE2/WIDE2* at the last hop. So there
will be one complete VIA call less; this will save 7 bytes of data. I
think Bill's proposal makes sense since one can easily count te number of
calls already replaced.

So with your previous remark I now have 2 options:

1) End the packet with a trailing WIDE2* like:

     WB0ABC>APRS,KB0ABC*,N0ABC*,WIDE2*
or

2) End the packet without a trailing WIDE2* like:

     WB0ABC>APRS,KB0ABC*,N0ABC*

In both cases any calls following the original WIDE2-N will be kept too if
there are any, like NOGATE, RFONLY or maybe distribution directives like
WORLD, LOCAL and IGATE, but also an additional WIDE2-2.

This detailed discussion may look a bit like nit-picking, but I want my
template to be okay since it will most likely be copied a lot without
adjusting a lot. So if my template is wrong, it is likey any error will op
up everywere...

Kind regards,

Henk.