[aprssig] WinAPRS as IGate

Ed L. Locklear, KF4CHG kf4chg at earthlink.net
Thu May 12 11:00:53 EDT 2005

William McKeehan wrote:
> I am part of a group that is going to be tracking a balloon this Saturday in
> East TN (see http://balloon.utarc.org). The current projected path that the
> balloon will take has poor digi coverage, so I am asking that anyone with
> capabilities to IGate (RF to Internet) the balloon's packets do so. We will
> have some people monitoring the internet feed to keep up with the balloon;
> some will assist the recovery team by watching to for packets that the
> recovery team does not hear directly or via a digi, others just to watch the
> balloon's flight. One person in this area runs WinAPRS, and is willing to turn
> it on as an IGate for this event...but he does not know how.
>
> When I tried WinAPRS, I found that enabling an internet connection would
> quickly cause my stations list to fill up and then things would stop showing
> on my screen. Is there anyway to have WinAPRS connect to a filtered port?

William,

Try using UI-View32 v2.03, you will of course have a slight learning
curve but works very well as an IGate.  Can be used with filtered port
14580.  You can by using the extra logon text feature for you filtering.
  It can I believe be set to watch only the ballon (callsign).  You can
also edit the IGate.ini file using the editor for further filtering.

Ed, KF4CHG
UI-View Registrar