[aprssig] GPS-20 keeps giving me $GPMRC with 'V' for invalid ...

maiko at pcs.mb.ca maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Wed May 11 22:37:10 EDT 2005

Hi Wes,

> I guess my question is how long have you let the puck run ?

Not long enough I guess. I didn't know about the wait time.

> Perhaps the same is true here?

I ran into this little snippet on another mailing list :

   unit should do an "autolocate" once it figures out that
   the default acquisition strategy isn't working. Expect it
   to take 15 or 20 minutes to do this - while the antenna has
   a good view of the sky.  And once the thing is navigating, it
   seems to take something like 12 hours of continuous operation
   to get a complete new almanac.

HERE IS THE INTERESTING PART :

   There's another possible problem.  The GPS 38, 40, and 45, all
   single-channel receivers of the same vintage, were confused by
   the "GPS week rollover" that happened just about a year ago.

   In theory, these units should have eventually recovered on their
   own after forcing an autolocate, but my 45 did not appear to.

   Garmin posted a fix - a little program that set the date far into
   the future, causing the bad almanac to be flushed and a new one to be
   gathered.  That fixed my 45.  Perhaps something similar is necessary
   with the 20.

I don't have a user manual for the GPS-20 and I don't have any software,
can anyone help me with that part of things ? I would appreciate that.

> I just checked findu and I don't see your car anywhere near your house.

You won't see it on FINDU, I'm experimenting.

Maiko