[aprssig] Mic-E in handhelds

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Wed May 11 23:37:04 EDT 2005

I may have asked this before, but never got any answer.  What Mic-E type
devices can be used with handhelds having no separate PTT signal (i.e., most
non-Kenwoods)?  TAPR Mic-E, TinyTrak, TigerTrak?  I'm just curious what's
currently in common use.

Any good wiring harness examples out there?  I finally found a source for
paired 2.5/3.5mm PCB mount jacks, but they've got the standard spacing and
I'm really more interested in interfacing with Motorola HTs with their
non-standard (7.5mm?) spacing.  Without 2.5 and 3.5mm jacks matched in
height, I wind up with the connector mating at an angle.  Not a major
problem, but it looks a little odd.

For my current prototype I've bypassed that completely by buying a Motorola
speaker mic off eBay, cutting the cable, and crimping on RJ-45s.  The
tracker board then uses a cheap dual RJ-45 for its interface between the mic
and the radio, but if I'm going to go to that much trouble I might as well
just solder the cables in directly and have the tracker permanently in-line
with the mic.

Scott
N1VG