[aprssig] Question abt recommended path

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu May 5 19:24:03 EDT 2005

>>> jmm at jwmoen.com 5/4/2005 10:29:51 PM >>>
> * In densel... areas... RELAY & WIDE [are obsolete],
> and anything greater than WIDE2-2, is not recommended
> * [another] recommendation, was WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
> *  I saw another recommendation of APRS,WIDE2-2

That last one is UNIQUE  and CONFUSING for UIview
only because UIvew you have to enter the TOCALL as
well as the path at the same time.  And further, UIview
then changes the APRS tocall part of it to APUxxx version
number.  Very simple, but VERY confusing when used out
of context... THe actual digipeater pat is just the WIDE2-2
part..

> I changed the path to APRS, WIDE2-2.

That wont work anywhere but in UIvew software.
You need to enter simply WIDE2-2.

>So I changed it to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2.  Now it
>looks like all digipeaters that hear me, including
>W6CX-3, will now repeat my location.

>My dumb question:  is WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 an OK
>path?

Yes, it should work everywhere for mobiles, but we
are finding a few bugs in a few digipeaters which
will need to be ironed out before that path will work
as well as we want it to and have all the advantages
that is has the potential for.  But in the mean time,
You would be better off with just WIDE2-2.

de Wb4APR< Bob