[aprssig] Local Event using RELAY?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Mar 28 15:38:32 EST 2005

>>> HamLists at ametx.com 3/28/05 12:44:46 PM >>>
>The question of operating on two different frequencies
>at the same time as you describe it begs the question
>"Why?", if what you say about carrier sense by the
>digipeater is true (that it won't hear anything other than
>the distant digipeater anyway).  If that is the case, why not
>have everyone operate responsibly on 144.39 if that is
>where you want them?

Because, the local mobile digi at the event is hearing
the distant digi all the time and so its receiver is hearing
a very busy channel.  Thus its chance of hearing the
local 1/4W tracker is minimal.

But if it is listening on 144.99 and only the 1/4 watt tracker
is transmitting on 144.99, then the success rate is greatly
higher...

>There is a way to operate on two frequencies AND
>operate responsibly.  That is to have an IGate on the
>alternate frequency and have an IGate on 144.39 gate
>anything the other IGate hears to 144.39.

Yes, that would work, but very cumbersome and I doubt
the original plan included bringing the internet to the field.

Bob