[aprssig] Local Event using RELAY?

Henk de Groot henk.de.groot at hetnet.nl
Tue Mar 29 13:32:34 EST 2005

Hello Pete,

AE5PL Lists schreef:
> Your extensive attempt at justifying blind transmissions just add
> support to Robbie's statement that blind transmission is just not right,
> under any circumstances.  Your idea of common sense is sometimes very
> contrary to proper operating practices.

Now why does this come up now? We had lengthy discussions on the SIG about
ALHOA and the maximum 18% channel load. Transmitting blind *is* exactly
what ALOHA is all about and nobody argued agaist it.

APRS behaves like ALOHA; not because we want it, but because most of the
time the other stations cannot be heard since they are too weak and out of
sight of the receiver. So 90% of the time APRS stations already tranmsit
blind as they can't hear the other stations, dispite carrier detection.

We have a max 18% channel load because of this. Under ALOHA conditions it
is perfectly okay to transmit blind. The odd percentage you save by
listening first is neglegable and waste of technology for only a very
little gain.

I know this goes against your feeling but think about the 18% channel
load, this means the chance of collision to begin with is already 0.18!

You are thinking about a situation where you actually can hear your
neighbours, but that's not the way APRS works. If everybody could hear all
the others and could utilize CSMA the maximum channel capacity would double!

Bobs proposal is sound and perfectly acceptable in an ALOHA environment.
If you don't like it then you have to change to another technology
(master-save, timeslotted, time allocated, duplex with feedback channel
etc.). ALOHA is the way APRS works in practice due to its huge ammount of
the hidden transmitter problems.

To be realy on the save side, operate the "deaf" relay with the minimum
amount of power needed to reach the digi. In that case when a packet
happens to collide, the other packet will most likely overpower the packet
from the relay.

Kind regards,

Henk.