[aprssig] TM-271A manual;

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Mar 10 16:50:36 EST 2005

scott at opentrac.org wrote:

>>Look for "Kenwwood TM271 Manual.PDF" .  As usual, left-clicking the link
>>will try to open the PDF in your browser, while RIGHT-clicking will
>>offer to "Save Target As... " which is usually what one wants.  It's a
>>1.25MB file download.
>>

>Thanks.  I tried getting it off their site at home and at work, and both
>places got a 0-byte file.
>

>>I would assume the hole in the case, and the pads on the PC board would
>>still be there for the din plug. Perhaps one could thread a pigtail made
>>

>If so, I'll know soon enough.  I know a local Kenwood dealer... I'll see if
>I can get a part number for the connector if it's not something with an
>obvious equivalent I can get form Digi-Key.  If the pads and everything are
>there, I'll document the procedure and post pictures of the process.
>
>Scott
>N1VG

Based on my previous experience with this sort of stuff, you'll have to
acquire a service manual for the TM271; i.e. $25-$30 additional
purchase. Normally Kenwood's service manuals document all national
destination variations of a model , though the coding schemes they use
are sometimes confusing and ambigious.
     Usually there will be more than one set of schematics and board
X-rays that will show different parts added, missing, or changed
depending on destination.
     For example, UHF rigs almost always have a gridded table showing
different value inductors and/or caps depending on whether the radio is
destined for Europe (430-440 MHz coverage) or North America (440-450).
2M models sometimes show a different set of L and C values for US vs
Euro for the same tuned circuits in RF stages,  to acheive a lower-Q
broader tuned circuit. (The Euro 2m band is only 144-146 vs our 144-148. )

Note that in some cases, you will see THREE variations:  The Euro
version (144-146 only with 1750 tone burst capability only), the US
version (144-148 with PL encode/decode, touchtone support, and crossband
repeat in the case of dual-banders) and a third version for Japan and
Australia (144-146 coverage only, but US-style features like touch tone
and PL.)
      Usually the region frequency coverage can be changed by adding or
removing nasty little surface-mount diodes or resistors and then
resetting the CPU.  ( http://mods.dk  is the prime source of info on
these "hacks". )

Stephen H. Smith             wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                   http://wa8lmf.com

New/Updated "Rev G" APRS     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs
Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: