[aprssig] Does UI-View have a decaying algorithm? Where is it?

John Kraus jfkraus3 at cox.net
Mon Mar 7 17:05:24 EST 2005

At 01:56 PM 3/7/2005, Ken Collins g4fip wrote:

>UI-View does have a decaying algorithm. UI-View32 has a retry on heard
>algorithm.

Please explain how to use this UI-View "decaying Algorithm".  I am using
UI-View 2.03 as an IGATE and all it has is a fixed rate that I can change
if I want. Doing this is a royal PITA during an emergency.  I don't see any
documentation on how I can set it to exponentially decay from an early very
rapid rate to a much slower one over a defined interval.

The term "decaying algorithm" has a distinct meaning in APRS.  Either
UI_view has it or it doesn't.  Which is it and if it has it how do we make
it work?

I have said it before and I will say it again.

Any APRS client that fails to implement the following basic design elements
of APRS is by definition and in actual use BROKEN.

The concept of net cycle time
Exponential Decay Algorithm
Reply ACKS

In my opinion APRS style messaging in UI-View is broken and can not be
fixed.  Furthermore, I think this precludes UI-view from functioning
reliably in an emergency.