[aprssig] Does UI-View have a decaying algorithm? Where is it?

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Mar 7 18:10:55 EST 2005

John K wrote on 07/03/2005 2:05:24 PM PST

> Please explain how to use this UI-View "decaying Algorithm".  I am using
> UI-View 2.03 as an IGATE and all it has is a fixed rate that I can change
> if I want. Doing this is a royal PITA during an emergency.  I
> don't see any documentation on how I can set it to exponentially decay from an early very
> rapid rate to a much slower one over a defined interval.

See announcements and bulletins for the decaying algorithm. Bring up the message screen and hit F1 for help and it will explain the timing for these two. Also, a search for the word "decay" will find the same page. Regular messages have a fixed rate - set by you. The rate isn't carved in stone. You can adjust it and specify how often to retry, how many times to try (not really any need to blast it out there hundreds of times if the other guy isn't hearing you) and the very important "retry on heard" setting, as well as being able to tell it to not expire your messages..

For those that can't read the help (I hope that means people that don't have the program installed), the bulletins go immediately, and then 2, 5, 10, and 20 minutes later, and every 20 minutes until you delete it. Announcements go immediately, and then 2, 5, 10, 20, 30 and 60 minutes later, and every 60 minutes until you delete it.

Perhaps you should set the settings at the optimum settings for regular messages before there is an emergency, but it would always be a good idea to know what settings are available SHOULD you ever decide anything needs to be changed. If the existence of an emergency means that you suddenly have to change the settings, maybe they weren't set right in the first place. I know that some would argue that the end user shouldn't have access to these settings, but if you didn't have any control over it, message handling would be pretty inflexible.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH