[aprssig] Pete's NSR idea

Patrick Green pagreen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 12:13:00 EDT 2005

I haven't read the NSR idea but I'm opposed to any system that forces
*every* packet to conform to a standard.  I like to change paths
according to what I'm doing.  When messaging a local party, *I* change
my path to create the least packets to get to the destination or If
I'm responding to a DX posit during a band opening, I reduce my path
in hopes that there's an Igate close to other party.

The new paradigm has helped congestion in the busy Chicago area.  Now
we need to focus on the I-Gates that dupe dupe and redupe message
traffic when that kicks up.  It's amazing how much traffic a single
message can generate!

Recently I've been experimenting with white listing stations that have
bad paths.  I match the callsign AND the path they choose so if they
change the path, they get off of the list.  I retransmit them once and
trash it from there.  The thought it they originally weren't going to
get retransmitted so retransmitting once will get them into APRS-IS
for sure.  I can get to 4 I-Gates from where I am.

When I mobile I set the path to 1 hop WIDE1-1 (RELAY usually until the
local digi by my work changes over) and increase the frequency of my
transmissions.  I get better thruput and spare the network needless
congestion from me.

In summary, I like having a little flexability in where my packets go.
 Having something as rigid as NSR would bug me.

73 de Pat --- KA9SCF.