[aprssig] Pete's NSR idea

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Fri Jun 24 12:10:28 EDT 2005

At 09:53 AM 6/24/2005, Robert Bruninga wrote:
> > Bob has succeeded in getting people in the "sticks"
> >to change their digis so they will only repeat WIDE2-2
> >or less,
>
>Ah, but absolutely no where in anything I have ever written
>has that been what I said.  2-2 only applies to very
>dense or contiguous areas.

         Yes, I understand that, but I had a pretty good argument with the
digi owner near Lubbock a couple of days ago.  He's been a good friend of
mine, but he absolutely would not listen to what I had to say about the
matter, and told me that WIDE2-2 is now the standard EVERYWHERE.  He also
told me he was tired of seeing all the junk that comes through (like the
station in west Texas that sends a weather report every 3 minutes or so)
and WIDE2-2 was fixing that.  Seems to me that's a function of BUDLIST and
SUPLIST, and crippling the digis is like swatting a fly with a Buick!

><snip>
>Well managed NSR networks can work very well.
>But many digis are operted by absentee owners
>and by nature cannot be as responsive to changing
>needs as the current system.

         I have to say this -- the digi owner near Lubbock is VERY active
and responsive.  But he's convinced that WIDE2-2 is the only way to allow now.

         I can't do any more until I find $50K (or more!) and I can put up
my own towers to hold my own digis...<G>

         Earl

Earl Needham, KD5XB, Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk
http://kd5xb-2.no-ip.info