[aprssig] GPS FIX MOUNT FOR MOBILE USE???????????

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Thu Jun 23 21:15:42 EDT 2005

On Jun 23, 2005, at 5:21 PM, David Boswell wrote:

> Does any mfg make and sell an external GPS unit (Hockey Puck size) to
> plug into the D7A and/or D700.

Nope, but the Garmin GPS18-PC is close.  It has RS232 on a DB9 and
receives power via a cigarette lighter plug.  It's smaller than a
hockey puck. (:

We bought some for the balloon project at
http://www.gps4fun.com/gar_gps18.php for $89 .  No affiliation, just a
satisfied customer, etc.

You can either get a matching DB9 (and shell) and wire it to the cable
that came with the D700, or chop the DB9 off the GPS18 and add a plug
(or cable) for the D700.

I'm not sure it's actually waterproof.  The sapecs on the web page
don't say so, and I don't really want to download the full PDF spec
sheet on this 28k or 33k modem link.

Higher end GPS units frequently have external antenna connectors, so if
you want to spend the money you can use the GPS for navigation, viewing
APRS station positions, and have an external antenna for better GPS
reception.  (My MAP60 works great on the dash of my F150 without an
external antenna.)

On Jun 23, 2005, at 5:30 PM, Scott Miller wrote:

> What's the connector on the D700?  Is that the 3.5mm jack?

it's the 2.5mm.

>  Does it provide power too?

Nope.  3 wires: TX, RX, and ground.  Both the D7 and D700 are capable
of listing heard stations as waypoints on the GPS display, so it needs
TX as well as RX.

-Jason
kg4wsv