[aprssig] Question about paths

n2lbt at spamcop.net n2lbt at spamcop.net
Sat Jun 18 21:42:51 EDT 2005

John, I don't think William was responding to your question. The
recommended path for mobiles is WIDE2-2 or WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 see

http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html

Anything more than that and you risk having your packets dropped, or
truncated. Communicating beyond 2 hops becomes geometrically
difficult, and interferes with neighbor's networks. It's unfair, rude
and not in the spirit of ham radio. If you really think you can
communicate beyond 2 hops, you must fill in the individual
digipeaters to make the path, but you will quickly find it just won't
work reliably. Why you ask? Because the other stations in your home
town are flooding the network with WIDE3-3 and higher for local
comms. This is the way it works, it is a fixed amount of space for
data. As you add more stations with longer paths, the distance you
can reliably communicate goes down.

Again, you admit using WIDE3-3 for local communications, and claim it
"works". Of course it does, but at what cost?

Do you run your HF station at 1500 watts for local nets? Think about
it, or take the time to read about it.

--
Dennis Hudson, N2LBT
Sysop APRSALY