[aprssig] Question about paths

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Jun 18 10:14:33 EDT 2005

One has to be careful about using the ambiguous term
"is set to" when talking about APRS paths.  Just like
male/female gender there is a big difference between
the setting of your outgoing path and the setting of your
station aliases and digipeater capabilities.  In Email
where ambiguity leads to confusion in the written word
one should be very specific.

My interpretation of the ambiguities below is that the
question does not distinguish between the two and
so there is a missunderstanding of how WIDE1-1
works.

>>> WA4YYM at aol.com 06/18/05 12:22 AM >>>
I have two questions about APRS paths.  1) In my home location  (Cleveland,
TN) my home (fixed) APRS station can access a local digipeater  (which uses the
new paradigm), but my mobile station around town cannot reliably  reach the
digipeater.  If my home station is set to WIDE2-2 and my mobile  station is set
to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 will my mobile station be able to reach the  digipeater?
2) What would happen if I stayed with RELAY,WIDE which some of  the other
yet-to-be-upgraded digipeaters near our area still use?   Would I still be
digipeated on the local digipeater which has switched to the  new path paradigm, if
my station at home is still set to WIDE2-2.  My home  APRS station is the only
fixed station in our town.

ANSWER:  Then your home station should be set to have
an ALIAS of WIDE1-1 and your mobile should use the path
of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 if you are anywhere within a hundred
or so miles of any of the saturated APRS areas.  Else set
your mobile path to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2.

de Wb4APR, Bob
Don
WA4YYM