[aprssig] Question about paths

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Sat Jun 18 14:22:52 EDT 2005

I would ask which digi do you hit from your home location and what aliases
does it support? If the digi that hears your packets do not respond to the
elements in your path, then your packet will not get digi'd. Many of the
digi's in East TN do not support the new WIDEn-N paradigm.

I agree with Bob that your home station should have an alias of WIDE1-1 (and
optionally RELAY to support people during the migration to the new paradigm).

With that setup, your mobile station should be set to WIDE1-1. When you are in
range of your home station, your mobile would get digi'd by your home station,
thus giving it the same basic coverage as your home station.

If your home station is an IGate, then that may be all you need in the path of
your mobile station. It would get to your IGate directly and would be able to
send messages via the APRS-IS to other stations.

If you want more coverage locally via RF, then you could use a path of
WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1. This will digi thru your home station, then one more hop
from the digi that hears your home station.

If your home station is not an IGate, then you need to add to that path. If
the path that you are using at your home station is getting your packets to an
IGate, then add the path that you are using with your home station to your
mobile tracker, so you would have a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2.

That's my advice.

--
William McKeehan
KI4HDU