[aprssig] Question about paths

Ed L. Locklear, KF4CHG kf4chg at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 18 05:57:56 EDT 2005

WA4YYM at aol.com wrote:
> I have two questions about APRS paths.  1) In my home location  (Cleveland,
> TN) my home (fixed) APRS station can access a local digipeater  (which uses the
> new paradigm), but my mobile station around town cannot reliably  reach the
> digipeater.  If my home station is set to WIDE2-2 and my mobile  station is set
> to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 will my mobile station be able to reach the  digipeater?
> 2) What would happen if I stayed with RELAY,WIDE which some of  the other
> yet-to-be-upgraded digipeaters near our area still use?   Would I still be
> digipeated on the local digipeater which has switched to the  new path paradigm, if
> my station at home is still set to WIDE2-2.  My home  APRS station is the only
> fixed station in our town.
>
> Don
> WA4YYM

Don,

1) It should work however, make it WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1. This will make a 2
hop rather than a 3 hop with WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2.

2) No, under the New n-N Paradigm RELAY,WIDE,TRACE, and TRACEn-N are not
supported. Therefore, if you stay with RELAY,WIDE you will not be
digipeated under the new settings.

Ed, KF4CHG