[aprssig] AO-Echo satellite

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Jun 4 16:49:46 EDT 2005

This is a myth.
The uplink to ECHO is 9600 baud AX.25 and the
downlink is usually 9600 baud AX.25 packet.  Further
the uplink uses UI packets for a station to request
access.  The PACSAT protocol has always had the
capapbility to simply digipeat a packet by the simple
setting of the "d:0" bit to "d:1".  Just monitor the downlink
and whenever you see the STATUS packet, you will see
the "d:0" set to zero meaning that the digipeatr is turned
off.

But they dont because it is just not a priority to
them.  They said there was a problem once in
the interrupts, but again, such a problem should
be trivial to fix, since the PACSAT protocol already
uses UI packets on the uplink, so listening for APRS
UI packets is no different.

Injecting a digipeated packet in the downlink is trivial
and seamless.  Now, what I am saying here is the
status from about a year ago or more, the last time
I asked for them to enable digipeating.  But it was
clear that there was no interest and  no incentive to
solve whatever minor problem was holding them up.
Hence the "statements" that it doesnt support
APRS.  That is true, but only because the digipeat
funciton has not been turned on.

Again, I am not complaining,  As long as that is the
way they chose to operate, then that is what we are
stuck with.  They do all the work, so I have no intention
of complaining.  Thank goodness there are good
honest people working ECHO and doing a good
job.  Again, I am not complaining.  Just noting the
facts (as I understand them).

Bob, Wb4APR

>>> kf4otn at ericsatcom.net 06/04/05 9:05 AM >>>
>From what I understand, AO-51 (Echo) does not have any APRS-capable
gear onboard so it isn't available to be a digipeater.

73s,
Eric KF4OTN
kf4otn at amsat.org
http://www.ericsatcom.net

Project OSCAR Member
AMSAT-NA Member: 35360
AMSAT Eastern North Carolina Area Coordinator