[aprssig] Anyone reality checked Navteq/Google maps?

KC2MMi kc2mmi at verizon.net
Thu Jul 21 13:29:52 EDT 2005

In this area (NYC) it appears that the Google Maps, and FINDU and anyplace
else using the Navteq mapping, give my location incorrectly by 0.16 miles,
two city blocks off real WGS84/USGS/GPS position.

I've asked Google and Navteq for a response on this. They may be using the
TIGER maps for their baseline data, or making the same incorrect assumptions
that TIGER did. The US Census knows of this error, and states that TIGER
maps are not suitable for navigation.

Has anyone else done a reality check on the Navteq maps and found similar
problems in this or other areas? Does anyone know what the source for the
Navteq data really is?