[aprssig] IGate test needed

Bill Diaz william.diaz at comcast.net
Sat Jan 29 12:23:27 EST 2005

Bob,
  I have to agree with Spider.  Have a few other problems with this as well.
See below:

SNIP

>Just some thoughts/comments:

>a.  Although PHG is useful to some, as an avid APRS user in
>the field, I do not need to see this, it is not of any value
>to me and just takes up space (my opinion).  I suspect this
>to be true for 98% of all APRS users.

I agree.

>b. Why on earth have the Packet in standard format and then have the
>callsign lowercase....looks really bad.

IMO, the packet should also use a standard format for the originating call.
The author should be encouraged to reduce the originating call to 6
characters or less with optional SSID.

I assume the originating call and the call sign refer to the same station.

>c.  What is the ________  for?

The multiple underline char take up space and serve no useful purpose I can
see.  The author should be encouraged to eliminate them or reduce them to a
single unique identifying char to reduce bandwidth required for the packet.

SNIP

>73,
>
>Jim, WA6OFT

If a packet is sent in a non-standard format, it is not the responsibility
of the client application to accept it.

I see no reason these packets cannot conform to the APRS spec and to
generally accepted APRS practices.

The author should be encouraged to create packets understood by clients and
not expect all authors to modify code to accommodate his non-standard
packets.

Bill KC9XG